Ruins of the Teutonic Order's castle in Toruń Ruins of the Gothic Teutonic Order's castle – a wooden and earth defensive construction was erected in 1230's by the fortifications of the Old Town which in the second half of the 13th century was gradually replaced with a stone and brick form. The construction of the castle was completed around 1300. but throughout the following century it was systematically extended. It was to be the seat of the commander and the convent. The first known Order official was the commander Otto. mentioned in 1250. and the last was Albrecht Kalb. commander in the period of 1446-54. On 8 February 1454 the burghers and members of the Prussian Confederation captured and destroyed the castle. next it was partially dismantled in a short period of time. Gardens and a landfill site were established within the castle. The castle was built on an unusual layout of a closed horseshoe. It consisted of the main castle. the outer ward and outer wall. The main castle was a building with several floors and 2 wings. eastern and southern. gate from the west and a yard with an octagonal tower from the south. The toilet tower. so called “Dansker” was attached to the castle from the east. connected with a roofed porch. The main castle was surrounded by a wall in turn surrounded by a Zwinger. that is an open area between the castle and the outer wall. To north and south of the castle there was a large utility outer ward with mills. smithy. storehouses. bakery. mint. granary and houses for Order's servants. The whole castle unit was surrounded by a moat. The outer ward could be entered by 3-4 gates. Since 2007 the castle ruins are managed by “Teutonic Castle” Culture Centre.