It is one of the most complete in Europe. It was built at the end of the third century. following the guidelines of Vitruvio. The Wall of Lugo measures more than 2 km and has ten gates. of which five are old. while the others were opened between 1853 and 1921 to facilitate communication. One of the original ones is known as the Santiago Gate. because it is presided over by an equestrian image of the Apostle. Previously it was called the Postigo Gate and its use was restricted to the bishop and the Council. The Gate of Bishop Aguirre is the fourth gate opened in the 19th century (1894). Its opening was due to the desire to facilitate communication with the new seminary and the old cemetery. The Campo Castelo Gate. which was opened on the occasion of the inauguration of the new prison in 1887. in order to facilitate the change of guard and access to the courthouse. Also known as Gate of the Prison. was the third opened during the 19th century. The Gate of Saint Peter is believed to have existed in Roman times. During the late Middle Ages. it appears in written sources as Sancti Petri. Also. in medieval times it was known as Toledan Gate because it is located at the end of the road coming from Castile. used mainly by merchants from Toledo who traded in the city. The Gate of the Station that was opened at the request of some neighbours because of the need to communicate the city with the rail road tracks. The False Gate. which is one of the old ones. although very modified. It is the type of gate that the Romans called posterulae. exclusively for military use. which opened asymmetrically on the existing canvas between two towers. The exit was a trench excavated in the ground. It was probably closed during the Middle Ages and opened in the 17th century when the Hospital de San Bertomeu was established in the current Plaza de Ferrol. formerly located in the Plaza Mayor. Through this gate the mail entered and left (for many years it was the closest to the road to Corunna. seat of the General Captaincy and the Audience). The Gate of San Fernando was the first of the modern gates. It was opened in 1854 in the area where the so-called *gap* was located. where the aqueduct of Roman origin entered the city. In 1858. on the occasion of the visit of Elizabeth II and her children. it was given the name of Gate of Prince Alfonso. in honour of the future Alfonso XII. who at that time was a child of barely one year old. The New Gate. which existed in Roman times. was the exit from the city towards Brigantium (Betanzos). Until the construction of the Gate of San Fernando in 1854. it was the main means of communication in the northern part of the city. The Gate of Bishop Odoario; the hole was opened in 1921 on the occasion of the laying of the foundation stone of the Santa Maria Hospital. The Miñá Gate or Gate of Carmen is the gate of Roman origin that is preserved with fewer modifications. Popularly known today as the Gate of Carmen for being in front of the chapel of this name. appears in medieval documentation as Miné or Mineana. as it is the natural outlet to the Miño river. name that derived in the current Miñá Gate.