The first museum in Lazdijai was established in 1924 next to the old Žiburio Gymnasium by its headmaster. priest. poet. and talented pedagogue Motiejus Gustaitis. He gathered collections of ethnographic. household exhibit. and archeologic findings and created an exposition. The Magdeburg Right privilege act. granted to Lazdijai town in 1597 by King Sigismund Augustus was also stored here. After nationalising the gymnasium in 1936 the museum died away. In 1974 a memorial room for poet Salomėja Nėris was founded in the building of former Sejny Žiburio Gymnasium in Lazdijai. After repairing the building in 1995 Lazdijai History. Culture. and Education Museum was established.