Construction of Lamego Cathedral began in the middle of the 12th century. by order of King Afonso Henriques. over an old chapel dedicated to São Sebastião. commissioned to be built a few decades earlier by Countess Dona Teresa. In the Lower Middle Ages. the building. of a markedly Romanesque style. was enriched by countless elements. including some funeral chapels. particularly of members of the episcopate – the cases of D. Paio in 1246. D. Domingos Pais in 1284. Nicolau Peres in 1299 and Vasco Martins in 1302. among many others. In the early 16th century. the cathedral underwent significant refurbishment. attributed to Bishop D. João de Madureira. This refurbishment resulted in the main Manueline work in this part of the realm. concentrated on the main façade. a primary scenographic element of great visual impact.