8.- Historic town of Salas Capital of the council of the same name. located around the Nonaya River. in the vicinity of the Sierra del Viso. It has just over 1.500 inhabitants. In the proximities of the old town of Salas lies the old church of San Martín. parish of the town until 1856. It was founded during the time of the Asturian monarchy. preserving several Pre-Romanesque decorative elements until the 1980s. when they detached and transferred to the small museum arranged in the palace of Valdés-Salas for its exhibition. The church of San Martín is located next to a centennial yew tree declared a Natural Monument. The first mention of the town of Salas dates from 1120. in a document by Queen Urraca donating to a nobleman the old castle of Salas. around which the town was developed. The castle stands out for its disposition around the river and small squares specialized in different mercantile uses and in which different mansions and palaces of the local nobility were located. as well as buildings of popular style and others in the taste of the bourgeoisie of the late 19th century and early 20th century. The old castle stands out among the houses of Salas. It was transformed over the centuries into the current castle of Valdés-Salas. in front of which the Renaissance collegiate church rises. The town of Salas was declared a Cultural Interest Site with the category of Historic Site in 1994. During medieval and modern times there was a hospital for pilgrims. documented for the first time at the beginning of the 15th century. and placed under the patronage of San Roque. whose chapel is still preserved.