20.- Historic town of Llanes Capital of the council of the same name. it is one of the great towns of Asturias. Its origin goes back to the repopulation of the Cantabrian coast driven by the Castilian monarchs during the Middle Ages. In the specific case of Llanes. its foundation is due to the municipal charter granted by King Alfonso IX in 1228. Subsequent monarchs such as Alfonso X the Wise. Alfonso XI or the Catholic Monarchs. granted or confirmed several commercial and fiscal privileges. which contributed to the population growth during this medieval period. The town was walled (there are still several fragments of that wall and some of the towers. such as the one currently housing the tourist office) and a network of streets was developed around the church of Santa María del Concejo. the main temple of a town in which outstanding examples of Gothic. Renaissance. Baroque and contemporary buildings are preserved. at which time the village overflows the medieval walled perimeter and expands in all directions. Llanes is located on the shores of the Cantabrian Sea. 11 meters high. around the mouth of the Carrocéu river. Its port was one of the main gates of the Asturian trade in medieval and modern times. exchanges with ports throughout Atlantic Europe being documented. It was also a point of arrival for pilgrims to Santiago that continued from here by land their way to the tomb of the Apostle.