In its origin. Monterrei Castle was a fortress-palace. located in the parish of Santa María of the municipality of Monterrei (province of Ourense). located on a hill overlooking the river Támega valley. at the confluence of the roads which connect Puebla de Sanabria and Ourense and about 28 km from Chaves (Portugal). It is one of the best-preserved fortresses in Galicia. It was declared a National Monument on the 3rd of June of 1931 and is currently an Asset of Cultural Interest. within the catalogue of Historical Heritage Monuments of Spain. It had the first printing press in Galicia. Within its premises there is a hostel for pilgrims which was put back to use at the end of the 20th century. It is considered by many authors as the most important acropolis in Galicia. mainly for its strategic enclave during the border defence of the War of Restoration with Portugal (17th century). The oldest preserved elements correspond to the years of the reign of Alfonso IX. most of which correspond to the time of the first Count of Monterrei. Sancho Sánchez de Ulloa. It consists of three walled enclosures on an elongated hill. Between the furthest from the central nucleus and the intermediate nucleus. a Calvary of the 17th century. The second enclosure is accessed through a gate flanked by two guardhouses with openings. thus reinforcing the rest of the enclosure with several bastions. The last enclosure is accessed through an entrance with a pointed arch formed by large voussoirs. these being the best preserved of the complex. Above it is the Monterrei coat of arms. which consists of four quarters with the arms of the Acevedo. Ulloa. Viedma and Zúñiga. and above them the shield of the Fonseca. The medieval castle is located inside the last enclosure and its access door is located in Monterrei square. Through this door you can access the castle's parade ground. where a water well and a tunnel that served as cistern are still preserved. and local legend says that the cistern communicated with the nearby Watchtower. On the western side of the wall there are the remains of large stone ovens. One of the most remarkable elements which is conserved in the castle is the donjon. which was built in the 15th century. it is also known as *Tower of Don Sancho*. which was erected by the first Earl of Monterrei at the time of the Catholic Monarchs. It is a 22 meters high square construction built with stone. On their blocks of stone we can observe a large amount of mason marks. One of the most noteworthy buildings of the complex is the Pilgrims' Hospital. founded by Gaspar de Zúñiga Acevedo and Velasco and built in 1391 according to the date inscribed on the frieze. by the abbot Vasco Pérez It is dedicated to Holy Trinity . It is a small. recently restored building with two floors and which barely keeps its original gothic portal. which displays an ogive arch and four flared archivolts.