There used to be an abbey behind the current Roman Abbey (1033-1035). where pilgrims could enjoy the accommodation and food. These buildings were destroyed during the French Revolution. The only parts remaining are the entrance. of which the “Porte Saint-Nicolas”. ornated by a scallop. Inside. the Roman Abbey features wooden choir stalls. often considered the most beautiful in Belgium. One of them is incrusted with a scallop. Close to the exit. a limestone niche bears a scripture in the shape of a scallop.